Natural Hazards: Avian Influenza and Flooding

1. Lewisburg is located in central Pennsylvania along the Susquehanna River. Based on the Nathan World Map of Natural Hazards Pennsylvania experiences increased heavy rain influenced by Zone 2 (185-212 km/h) and Zone 3 (213-251 km/h) winds off the Atlantic Ocean. Winter storms have peak wind speed of ≤ 80 km/h and low frequency/intensity of hail storms and wildfires. Although It is rare that tornado activity occurs in this area, we do have a history. It is reported that a total of 26 historical tornado events occurred in or near Lewisburg, PA between 1950-2010 (1). Through my experience the natural disaster that affects Lewisburg is flooding due to its location along the river. The Nathan World Map is it great for looking at global patterns, but for a city. I needed to generalize information. The maps should be larger to make weather indications easier to find.

2. Hong Kong, China’s current disaster is H7N9 or highly pathogenic avian influenza. The virus infects human species through direct or indirect contact with infected live or dead poultry. It is hard to note the scale of this disaster because the information is not indicated on RSOE. The infection is confirmed to affect humans, but the scale and the total number of infections/deaths are not shown on the site. The CDC reported data by the World Health Organization showing 667 cases and 229 deaths from H7N9 flu have been reported globally from March 2013 through October 14, 2015 (most reported in China) (2).
Considering scale, China and the U.S. are relative in size, but Hong Kong in comparison to Lewisburg hold no similarities. Hong Kong is a large city with a population of 7 million, whereas Lewisburg is a small town with a population estimated at 5,733. Disease will spread in susceptible climates and at a greater rate in populated areas due to proximity to other individuals, but this is not the case for avian influenza that is spread through human to poultry contact. Areas around Lewisburg operate poultry farms. For example, my town 5 miles from Lewisburg has a poultry farm where they raise turkeys or chickens seasonally, but they do not process birds at this location. Much of the meat purchased by people of this area come from supermarkets. In China wet markets are more likely to be found where animal preparation is done on the spot. In Lewisburg, I believe every citizen that is not handling poultry directly has a low level of vulnerability to avian influenza. If such occurrence were to happen in Lewisburg people a person with direct contact with infected birds or surfaces contaminated with the avian influenza viruses will pick up this disease, but not spread it. The severity of this disease if it became present is low, and antiviral drugs are 70% to 90% effective (3) reducing the impact even more.

3.Lewisburg is located along the Susquehanna, which places it at low grown in the watershed. Streams from the surrounding mountains and towns all lead to this location making it susceptible to flooding. Thirteen local flood hazards have been reportedly marked between 1889-2011 (4). The historical flood of ‘72 during Hurricane Agnes is a disaster older generations still talk about since I can remember. Hurricanes and rapid snow melt typically cause the river to crest, but flash floods also create devastation for Lewisburg. The Susquehanna is a river that I needed to cross to get to my high school. Often my school closed due to flooding along the river that made access to the bridge impossible. Homes and business along the river are most vulnerable to flooding and pay the cost when these disasters occur, but large floods like the one of ‘72 and most recent in 2011 have caused devastation for a half mile beyond the floodplain.

4. In this module, we saw how hurricanes cause massive destruction in regions along the coast. I have experienced smaller scale destruction from hurricanes occurs that affects local water systems.The vulnerability of streams, rivers and reservoirs to flood is much easier to mitigate than instances from massive flooding in New Orleans or Japan. Large scale water destruction is often inevitable and unpreventable. Water leaves us no time to prepare when hurricanes begin causing rising water, and there is no chance with a tsunami. Are largest preventative measure is to not built on islands or along the coast, but we seek to live in these areas and pay the price when natural hazards occur. Lewisburg already accounts for vulnerability to flooding risks. They provided a website with information (5) addressing flood safety, floodplain ordinances, and insurance information for after flooding. I found Lewisburg has an “extensive storm drainage system to carry stormwater away from roadways and properties” (6). They city is built to move the water away from the town, and is system that they maintain prior to flooding.

2 thoughts on “Natural Hazards: Avian Influenza and Flooding

1. Hello Laurene, My name is Tenaya. I enjoyed reading your post. I liked reading, in detail, on the avian influenza in China. You added a lot of good information into that text. Where i currently live we too have flooding but in some areas not that extreme. The subdivision i live in is in a floodplain near the Trinity river, which usually if we get a lot of rain, 3 of the 4 ways to get into our area is shut down. The city has just recently began to build ditches for the flood waters to run through instead of rushing over the streets. Here is a link to my blog, http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/03/28/tenaya-natural-hazards/.

2. Hi Laurene! My name is Emily and I found your post to be very informative. I liked the details you provided about your hometown of Lewisburg. It is interesting that you had to cross the Susquehanna to get to school – I can see why it would flood often. I do not have any large bodies of water in my small hometown of Bellwood, PA, but we are also susceptible to tornadoes. However, if one were to occur it would not be devastating, since PA is located in zone 0. Here is a link to my blog post: http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/03/28/natural-hazards-2/.