Vulnerability Reduction

In the north eastern United States there is an increase in heavy rains. The increase in heavy rain and storms in the area could be connected to the higher likelihood of hail storms in the area as well. The north eastern part of the united states is less effected by the most devastating naturally hazardous weather. However the coastal weather patterns have an impact on the increase in heavy precipitation.

The march 28th 2016 volcanic eruption in Alaska is something that the people of my home town do not have to be anxious about happening. On the east coast at the foot on the mountains there are no known active or dormant volcanos. Although this is not a threat to my home town a volcanic eruption would devastate the area no matter the scale. Unlike the Alaskan frontier central Pennsylvania is a much more densely populated area. There were no people killed or injured and no known damage in Alaska for this small scale eruption because of the desolate area in which it occurred. My home town would need an evacuation route along with many other foreign procedures to reduce the impact of a natural disaster of this nature on a small scale. At best there would be fewer casualties with procedures in place but on a larger scale this would devastate the population and the landscape.

One thought on “Vulnerability Reduction

1. Hi Megan, my name is Katherine and I am a junior at Penn State. I enjoyed reading your blog in regards to reducing your city’s vulnerability to natural hazards. It appears that we are both from the North Eastern area of the United States. Although my city, Philadelphia, does not indicate an increase in heavy rains on the Nathan map, it is clear that the chances of heavy rain increase as you move farther North. It was also interesting that you noted that this heavy rain fall was related to an increased chance of hail storms. Finally, I thoroughly enjoyed reading the information you provided about the volcanic eruption that occurred in Alaska yesterday. As you said, both of our town’s are at a very low, almost obsolete, risk of this happening. Theoretically, though, if this were to happen in Pennsylvania, more people would be affected which would require even more pre-event preparations.

You can check out my blog here:
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/03/28/katherine-rigotti-module-8-recognizing-and-reducing-vulnerability-to-natural-hazards/