Module 8- Nick Gasparovich

• 1). After looking at the Nathan World Map is very easy to see that this map is not a good a choice to analyze differences in individual towns since the scale is very large. The color code is also very hard to identify the different zones. It’s hard to even make out the state of New Jersey on these maps let alone the 6 square mile town of Ramsey. I was roughly able to make out that New Jersey on the storm specific maps and they showed that my home state has a low risk of encountering wildfires, a medium risk of encountering tornado’s and hail storms, and medium/low risk of encountering winter storms. On the large map New Jersey seems to be in a zone 3 for tropical cyclones.
  • 2). The disaster I looked into was a nuclear event in Washington. The nuclear power plant near Richland had a scram. This means the plant was quickly shutdown due to a cooling issue. Ramsey can experience a similar hazard since the first nuclear power plant constructed in the USA is located in the southern region of N.J. Any large meltdown of this plant would put Ramsey at risk of encountering radioactive material. The scale of this event is on the county level. This means several towns are directly affected by the event. If this event occurred in the New Jersey plant the scale would have to span most of the state since Ramsey is located in north jersey. If this current event was on a state scale the entire state of Washington could be subjected to radioactive material if the plant melted down. People from Ramsey that are closer to the power plant are more vulnerable since radioactive material wouldn’t have to travel as far. The urban density of a town could alter the vulnerability since more people can be effected by the same amount of radioactive material. The only way to reduce Ramsey’s vulnerability is to install a good warning system that will give citizens enough time to evacuate.
  • 3). Ramsey is at a risk of flooding especially after heavy rain storms. Flooding is easily the most common hazard Ramsey faces throughout the year. The Nathan World Map did show that New Jersey had a significant risk of cyclones and rainstorms, which helps explain the source of Ramsey’s hydro-logical hazard. According to a map posted by FEMA on Ramsey’s flood risks there are several large areas throughout town that have a high risk of flooding due to numerous nearby rivers and lakes. I have experienced first hand, entire parks and roads become submerged from Super Storm Sandy and other substantial rain storms. The most common damage from this hazard is water damage in houses, which can be very costly to repair.

Work Cited: FEMA Flood Zones, Borough of Ramsey: http://www.ramseynj.com/filestorage/363/397/Figure14_FEMA.pdf

• 4). If Ramsey bolstered the banks of all major rivers and lakes, these bodies of water could take on more water without flooding nearby roads or homes. In addition if people that lived near these bodies of water took precautionary action by installing sub-pumps in their basements and drainage trenches along the perimeter of their homes it would drastically decrease Ramsey’s vulnerability to flooding damage. The best people to carry out these precautionary measures would be Ramsey’s Department of Public Works (DPW). The DPW has the machinery needed to build up banks and dig trenches for surrounding homes. DPW workers are very knowledge about Ramsey and will be able to see what parts of the town are at the highest risk. Individually, I can monitor weather reports to give myself as much time to prepare. I can also help crate makeshift sandbag dams to help defend against flood waters.

One thought on “Module 8- Nick Gasparovich

1. Hi Nick,
    My name is Tanya, and you can check out my blog post for this module here: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/03/29/natural-hazards-t-smith/

You mention Ramsey and it’s potential for flooding, and the use of sump pumps. Is this town mostly a wealthy town? I ask because wealth is a human factor in vulnerability. I question if it isn’t on the wealthy side, would the residents be able to install (financially) the sump pumps? It would be interesting to see what the town could accomplish to protect themselves better from the flooding issues!