Grand Rapids, Mi

Personally I do not find this map particularly helpful. The instruction is to identify what hazards affect our home city or towns. Going by what I can see in these maps, I would have to say that you cannot really pin point your city or town, rather you are able to see what region of the continent you are on. As far as I can tell my region is in zone 1, possibly 2, for hailstorms; zone 0, possibly zone 1, for extratropical storms; zone 2 for tornadoes; zone 1 for wildfires; and generally not effected by other events listed on the following page. I am not sure if I have used this map correctly due to fact that the instructions seem specific and the maps are very general in nature.

For the second task I chose a Biological Hazard occurring in Wisconsin. At the time of this report 44 elderly persons had contracted this bacterium and had killed 18. This subject is very relatable to our course material as we directly discussed how age plays a key role in the vulnerability to natural hazards. In this instance only elderly people are affected at this time. In my hometown this very event could take place. In my opinion my hometown, as are most everyone’s hometown, very vulnerable to this because there are elderly people everywhere. Their immune systems are weaker than younger people’s and, in general, are more unable to care for themselves in the same capacity as younger people.                               As this event is taking place in Wisconsin, just across the lake from my hometown, the relative location is generally similar. Same weather patterns, temperatures and the like. If this hazard were to happen in my hometown I would imagine the reactions and fatalities would be similar as would be the manner in which it is currently being handled.                                                                                                                               Due to the nature of this event I cannot imagine anything really making a difference. The elderly are unavoidable, wherever you go you will have them. The severity of this event is, in CDC terms, low. There are a low amount of people affected and it is remaining strictly with the elderly. While they do not have a source at this time they are, in my limited opinion, doing what people in any other city would be doing.

My hometown is Grand Rapids, Mi. While in the past we have experienced severe weather during the winter months and occasionally a tornado and severe thunderstorm during the summer months, over the last few decades it has been generally mundane in the weather department. According to usa.com my hometown is in a higher than national average for tornadoes, however the last recorded tornado was in 2009. The area is subject to moderate flooding due to the Grand River however the banks are deep and the area is generally well prepared for this and the risk is mitigated by extensive planning and precautions.

As mentioned above, we are in a relatively low likelihood area for natural hazards. Grand Rapids has state of the art weather monitoring and early warning systems they utilize to warn residents of possible or imminent tornadoes and the path of possible destruction. The Red Cross and National Guard, in my opinion, along with the police, fire and emergency medical response departments would be the best suited to deal with possible hazards. As a resident I can pay attention to early warnings, remain vigilant to the weather and news sources for possible occurrences and abide by the suggestions and recommendations provided by the local government.

Reference: http://www.usa.com/grand-rapids-mi-natural-disasters-extremes.htm

2 thoughts on “Grand Rapids, Mi

1. Hi, a greed with you I did not find the Nathan Map helpful for this assignment. It was very hard to read and pin point a specific area. My town doesn’t flood often like yours. It was cooling learning about where you live.

Check out my post at https://wp.me/p3RCAy-cNF