Climate Change- Julie Hetu

Climate Change System

The main idea of my diagram is obviously surrounding the idea of climate change and climate mitigation. In the article, it was talked about how the United States had a major problem creating greenhouse gases which are affecting the climate. After realizing this was a problem, the Copenhagen Accord was produced in order to fix the problem at hand. The Copenhagen Accord was a plan produced by World Powers to mitigate climate change. Overall, the United States needed support for the plan and was bribing, spying, and threatening other countries in order for this support. However, the United States wasn’t the only country that was using unconventional means in order for support. There are other incidents reported through the article that show how China uses spear phishing. A major let down to this accord was that the Dutch refused to join due to the fact that they didn’t want to use financial aid for political reasons. However, on the positive side, Saudi Arabia joined the accord which was a major benefit. Being the number one producer of petroleum, Saudi Arabia agreed to join in order to diversify the economy and take the economy solely away from petroleum. Saudi Arabia agreed that it was good thing and no key economic interests were going to be compromised. In the end, the Copenhagen Accord had 140 countries supporting the plan with more countries that intend to join. The statistics say that 75% of the countries that are involved in the Accord are responsible for over 80% of the greenhouse emissions.

In this module, we learned that it is clear that climate change is a problem and a growing problem in fact. If continuing our ways that involve greenhouse gas emissions, sustainability may not be possible in the future. There is direct information within the module that says we won’t be able to keep using fossil fuels at the same rate without depleting them fully. It is obvious that something needs to be done in order to mitigate climate change. I believe that there may have been a better way to conduct the climate change diplomacy by the United States. However, I am not sure what this way would be. I imagine that it would be difficult to gain interest and support from other countries on an issue that may not seem to benefit these countries right away especially if it is changing their economy. Even though it may be difficult, I do not believe we should ever threaten another country for something of this matter. Since we talked about how climate change is often a collective action problem, it is important for countries to want to take part in this accord. If they are being bribed or threatened, they may not want to be apart of this for the right reasons. To solve a collective action problem, the people must want to change and reduce the problem. I believe that the State Department cables should be made public to an extent. It is a right for the citizens to know what is going on in the country to a certain extent. I do not believe that the public knowledge of these cables would be harmful. However, it may have been executed in a different fashion.

2 thoughts on “Climate Change- Julie Hetu

1. Hi Julie, my name is Amanda Giedroc and here is a link to my blog:
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/04/04/climate-change-amanda-giedroc/

I loved your post! We had similar ideas regarding our diagrams. We both started our diagrams by discussing climate change, the Copenhagen Accord, and how the U.S. needed to gain the support of other nations. My diagram went into more detail about how the U.S. gained the support of other nations, but we both ended with the same statements about countries’ involvement with the Accord today. Furthermore, we both agree a country should never be threatened to join something they don’t want to. The country needs to be motivated on its own to make a change before we can work together to fix the problem. I hope we can accomplish this in the near future.

2. Hi Julie, my name is Nick Gasparovich. I like how you explained that the United States wasn’t the only country that took part in the spying, bribing ,etc. I feel this shows how powerful countries like the United States and China try to take control of these UN meetings to get what they want, and this isn’t fair. I agree that the United States didn’t play nice, and it really is a shame because climate change is a serious issue, not an opportunity to personally benefit. We seem to share the same views on weather or not these cables should have been made public. As citizens we deserve to know how our elected officials are dealing with global problems.
    Check out my blog at http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/04/04/module-9-nick-gasparovich/