Lexie Gersbacher- Mod 9

Mod 9

My diagram illustrates the connections of the Wikileaks Cables to climate change. It all started with the US negotiating a climate treaty, which they mentioned causes danger to civilization. The US was aiming to dig up dirt on nations in regards to what they’re doing to handle global warming and financial aid. In order to do this, 5 people in Beijing received emails that were credibly disguised but actually contained a malicious code that hacked all useful information in their computers. The attack ended up being unsuccessful but lead to the discovery of the Copenhagen Accord. The Copenhagen Accord was a plan drafted by World leaders to handle climate change, through mitigation and sustainable development. Another cable that was revealed was the US sending a threat to Zenawi, which then pressured Ethiopia into the Accord. Dutch refused to join because they are against using financial aid for political leverage but to make up for this “loss”, Saudi Arabia, which is one of the top richest countries in the world, agreed to join. They did this under the terms that it’d diversify their economy and become petroleum free. In conclusion, the Accord gained support from about 140 nations; 75% of the countries that acquire almost more than 80% of the greenhouse gas emissions that will result in more control over the environment and climate change.

I believe the leaks were necessary in order to bring awareness but I think it could’ve been done in another way. I strongly think that the US State Department should have set up a press conference or some organized, moralized meeting, and explained the situation at hand. As a collective action towards mitigation, as we read in Module 9 explains, there are many different countries; oil based, small, and wealthy, that see climate change in different ways. since climate change doesn’t discriminate which countries if effects, all countries should want to try to bring an end to it. Climate change is an worldwide issue, meaning it affects everyone in the world, as well as future generations to come if not handled. I don’t think it was right for the US to use threats and bribery in order to get nations to join. I think the nations should’ve wanted to join, willingly. I believe from here on out, any meetings regarding anything to do with climate change should be addressed and handled in a public manner.

2 thoughts on “Lexie Gersbacher- Mod 9

1. Hey Lexie! Great post and diagram. Here is a link to mine if you get a chance. https://wp.me/p3RCAy-dD7

I took a slightly more “The ends justify the means” approach to whether not the US should have behaved the way it did in regards to the Copenhagen accord. I take a bit more of an ecocentric approach to the situation and appreciate that at the end, at least we are moving forward in regards to reducing ghg emissions. Was it sneaky and underhanded by the US? Absolutely. But at least globally, we are a bit closer to reducing the cause of climate change.

2. Hello Lexie, my name is Rachael and I strongly agree with your feedback from the WikiLeak article. I mentioned many similar points in my post and agree the U.S. State Department should have reacted a little differently and more ethical when trying to gain support. Like you mentioned, climate change is a worldwide issue and collective action should be taken because it is affecting everyone in the world. I really liked the set up of your diagram and the main points that were included. It was easy to understand and very detailed. Great job! If you’d like to check out my blog you can go to http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/04/05/module-9-rachael-donnelly/