Module 9: Ryan Daley

Module 9 diagram Ryan Daley

Section 1:

I started my diagram with just “climate change”.  I did this because climate change is the basis of this whole issue and it is an issue in its self that affects the whole world and the nations that inhabit it.  Since climate change is a very pressing issue that our world faces today it inevitably will lead to a need to find a solution that will either stabilize are resolve the world’s climate change crisis.  This need to stabilize our worlds climate was discussed in the Copenhagen Climate Change Summit in 2009.  this was good news fro the future of our world but it unfortunately wasn’t the best thing for business.  If we are successful in finding a way to become less dependent on fossil fuels or eliminate them entirely we will see a massive redirection of billions of dollars which will affect many nations economic well being, some for the better and some for the worse.  This potential redirection of wealth triggered several unethical actions by several nations, including the US and China.  These questionable actions are all to promote each nations own agendas and to make sure that they come out on top after the Copenhagen Accord begins to redirect billions.  The US was found to be requesting personal intelligence on leaders of foreign nations from the UN on several issues, one of which being climate change.  This information that was acquired lead to the US offering financial “support” to foreign nations in order to get them to support the US’ agenda.  The US wasn’t alone in the unethical actions.  China implemented “spear phishing attacks” on the office of US climate change envoy.  These attacks contained a code that would give hackers full access to sensitive intelligence, luckily these attacks were unsuccessful.

section 2:

The Wiki-leaks situation brought a lot of light to an issue that affects the world.  Even though there was a handful of unethical actions during this scandal the basis of the it is good.  The world’s super powers are taking an interest in the well-being of our ecosystem and the practices that are threatening to damage it.  When comes to the issue of the cables being leaked people are on the fence about how they feel about it.  I personally think that its okay that the public knows about the events taking place in our world’s governments.  I think that keeping things a secret is never a good idea because eventually something like the Wiki-leaks incident will happen and people will be upset.  If governments are upfront about issues they are trying to solve and alliances they are trying to make than it will be better for the public and will give the public a sense of involvement in its government’s objectives.  Even though I am in favor of the public knowing about the State Department Cables I am not particularly as happy about the way the US conducted the climate change diplomacy.  After reading the article it seems as though a lot of countries, including the US, were dealing with some sketchy strategies in order to gain power.  Instead of taking the opportunity to try and make the world a more sustainable place, nations used the Copenhagen Climate Change Summit/Accord as a tool to gain power.  When unethical strategies are being implemented I want, and expect, the US to be the moral high ground.

2 thoughts on “Module 9: Ryan Daley

1. Hello Ryan, my name is Brenton. I really enjoyed the second part of your posting as it detailed the consequences of keeping nefarious actions secret. The most recent example of this that comes to light would the release of the Panama financial records which detail high ranking individuals from all over the world attempting to hide money. Whether it was trying to get around sanctions or taxes this release of information has had a serious impact in just the week it has been known. This situation further details the harsh realities of when countries act unethically.

Here is a link to my post:
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/04/08/54047/

2. Hey Ryan! My name is Dorish Nguyen and I’m a student studying aerospace engineering at Penn State University Park. Here’s a link to my blog if you’re interested:
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/04/08/climate-change-module/

What caught my attention about your post is that you focused on the business and environmental aspects of the Copenhagen Accord. It was interesting to read about why you thought it was a good idea to release the information of cables to the public, which I actually had the opposing view. Reading your post, I better understand why the public deserves to know what is happening within the government, but not particularly to the point where people get upset and start to hate the government over issues like this. I agree that the United States handled the situation poorly and used the Accord to an advantage to gain power rather than help the environment. This is something that the United States needs to re-evaluate in future agreements. Great post and good luck on the rest of your semester!

– Dorish