The Downsides of Development

1. My case study has to do with the shrimp industry in Ecuador. For years during the 1980’s, the shrimp industry in Ecuador was able to thrive off the increase demand of shrimp to the United States and across the world. During Ecuador’s shrimping success, they destroyed many of the mangroves that provided protection for post larval shrimps to make room for more facilities to handle the older shrimp.  Without the protection the young shrimp need, many of them were not able to reach adulthood, causing the industry to sharply decline.  The goal is now for Ecuador to revitalize its diminished shrimping industry quick enough to rejoin the market, but not too quickly that they create the same problems again.  This is a sustainable development issue, with fish as a resource quickly diminishing.  The end uses of the shrimping industry is to provide money for the families of the shrimpers.  This development also highlights humanity impacting the environment, in this case negatively. Ecuador must address the issue soon before it is too late.

http://personal.colby.edu/personal/t/thtieten/aqua-ecua.html

1. This case study has to do with the low-income, developing countries where young children do not attain the education they are entitled to. The children suffer from poor health, and live in a cycle of poverty and inadequate education.  These are some examples of environmental bads. The goal is to help these children to escape poverty and lead successful lives.  The organization Restless Development works with young girls in various developing, low-income countries to overcome the environmental justice issues that are out of their control.  Restless Development helps to keep girls, around the age of 15-25, educated and teaches them about reproductive health, gender bias, and life skills.  They also teach girls to be leaders and ways to better other girls around them.  The organization also works with poor boys to help them gain insight and experience that will allow them to get jobs.   This is considered development through human and societal advancement.  As the organization works more, the children can contribute to the developing India for the better.

http://restlessdevelopment.org/our-work-with-girls-1

1. The location I will use is Westfield, New Jersey. The issues of India are very similar to the areas that I live by.  I live very close to Camden, Atlantic City, and Newark in  New Jersey. They are included in the top 100 worst cities in the United States.  While I do not have the issues as discussed in Ecuador over food industries, I do have several large issues with education and poverty in the cities around me.  Many of the young students there do not finish high school or attend college, and some even become part of organized crime.  Just last week, 3 Crips members were arrested in the town next to me.  Organizations like Restless Development are necessary to keep struggling students, regardless of background, in school.  Place and time matters in my situation because the longer we wait, more kids are going to fall out of school, making the areas worse.  The sooner organizations, like the Boys and Girl Clubs of America, help, the better the areas will be.

2 thoughts on “The Downsides of Development

1. Hi Dhruv, my name is Nick Gasparovich. Your post caught my eye because of your hometown paragraph. I work in a town that has also many educational issues, as many students do not make it through high school. I found your case study on Ecuadoran shrimping very interesting as I feel it is a great example of the “Tragedy of the Commons” which was outlined in a previous module. Your second case study appeals to me personally, since I fostered a Nigerian girl while she received treatment on her eye, many of the details you provided is consist ant on how she described her hometown. Check out my post at http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/24/development-module-5/

2. Hello Dhruv, my name is Will and I thought your article was very interesting to read. People don’t like to think about the downsides of development, and how a higher standard of living may not be good. One interesting thought I had reading your post was that as certain things in life get easier it comes at the price of something else. This is usually true in the case of the environment. As fishing becomes easier, the wildlife in the ocean pays the price. Also in transportation a car is easier to use than a bike, but it has a much harsher negative impact on the environment.

I really enjoyed reading your post and if you would like to read mine I have attached it below:
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/24/case-studies-similar-to-issues-at-home/