William Graf – Module 7

I am Will Graf and I am from Pompano Beach, Florida. The area that I am from is very close to the beach, with only one main road through the area. It is easy to get around the area on a bicycle. However I would still consider the area to be an automobile suburb. The population in Pompano Beach is about 100,000 people. The area of Pompano Beach is about 26 square miles. The population is fairly dense because a lot of this area is covered with water. I have lived in Pompano Beach my entire life. There are plenty of neighborhoods in the area, and not a lot of businesses. This allowed me to bike around to several different neighborhoods when I was younger. I still consider the area to be an automobile suburb because the weather in South Florida is usually hot and humid. Many people use automobiles to avoid sweating or walking distances in the heat.

The first city I will compare from the module is the city of Copenhagen. The reason I am choosing to compare these two cities is because the module talks so much about how the city of Copenhagen is very friendly towards bicyclists. The reason I think that these two aspects can be compared is because my neighborhood is very close to the water. On one side there is the beach, and the other side is the intracoastal. This means that only one major road comes into and out of our neighborhood and there is usually heavy traffic on this road. However there is plenty of room on the road for bikes to be operated and it would help both the environment and the flow of traffic if more bikes were used in this area.

The last city I will compare from the module is New York City. The reason that I chose this city to compare is because New York is so close to the water as well. This can be compared to Fort Lauderdale, the adjacent city to Pompano Beach. The reason I will compare this city is because Fort Lauderdale is a little larger and has more access to shipping ports on the ocean. I think this makes it similar to New York, but as stated in the module New York has a much easier route to the center of the United States. This makes New York a much larger city and has a much higher population density. This explains the reason that Fort Lauderdale still utilizes mostly automobiles and New York is able to use walking and a subway system. I think if Fort Lauderdale had easier ways to reach and trade with the center of the United States it would have a much higher population and density.

One thought on “William Graf – Module 7

1. Hey William my name is Doug and I am from Hatfield PA. I think it is very interesting that your town is very biker friendly but many people tend to use their automobiles instead to stay out of the heat. As a collective action, if everyone chose to ride their bikes they would greatly increase the air quality of the environment. As long as it is not too hot out, they are also burning a lot of calories by doing physical exercise as well as sweating. My town is also biker friendly but many people tend to use their cars as well just because it is faster and today we live in a society where everyone wants things right away. Check out my post http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/03/16/douglas-apple-module-7/