VIII: Hazard Vulnerability

1.By analyzing the Nathan World Map of Natural Hazards, I found my hometown in Northeastern PA is vulnerable to increased heavy rain, a moderate risk of hail storms, and winter storms. We are also at a low risk of wildfires, tropical cyclones and tornadoes. The map does not show we are at risk for earthquakes, however, my hometown has experienced mild earthquakes in the past. One of the natural hazards that surprised me was the possibility of experiencing tropical cyclones. Pennsylvania is not surrounded by oceans, and it’s geography primary consists of diverse, mountainous regions. I did not believe we were able to experience hurricanes. A river borders my hometown, as well as a few creeks and lakes. We have had trouble with flooding before and have experienced some heavy winds and rain. I believe it is rare for our area to experience a tropical cyclone.  Nathan’s World Map of Natural hazards is not a good reference to compare individual towns because the scale is so broad. It was also hard to make out the colors of each individual region and I do not believe it is a well suited document for the task given.

2.Referring to the RSOE EDIS, Nigeria is facing an ongoing, statewide biological hazard that’s been occurring since February 20, 2016. A documented 25 people have died because of an unidentified virus. Vaccines and/or other treatments are not available in this region. Since wealth is one of the most important factors to vulnerability, Nigeria is more vulnerable to this natural hazard than my hometown. Although my hometown is able to experience this same type of disaster,  I believe we would have more effective means of resilience if a biological hazard was to occur. The United States is a wealthier society with more advanced science and technology. Nigeria is more than twice the size of Pennsylvania, so if a biological hazard were to occur in my hometown the impacts would be immediate and local. It would not impact other portions of the world, if properly forecasted, and contained.

3.Different people in my hometown have different levels of vulnerability because people with less physical strength are more vulnerable to a biological hazard. Severity depends on physical and social nature of human populations affected by the event. A person with a weaker immune system would be much more vulnerable to a disease than one with a strong immune system. Children and the elderly are more vulnerable to hazards, and men tend to be less vulnerable than women. In order to reduce my town’s vulnerability to a disaster, pre-event preparedness is key. Since bacteria can reproduce and spread rapidly, it would be ideal to keep the elderly and children out of socially concentrated areas. Whether it be the shopping mall, community events and/or school, reducing the risk of transmission is extremely important. Increased sanitation, treatment, and immediately isolating the infected would help prevent the hazard from spreading

4.The first step in reducing vulnerability to natural hazards in my hometown is to develop a common understanding of all hazards and our vulnerabilities to each. Coordinating an emergency management effort is also very important (PEMA 1). The natural hazards posing the greatest threat in the commonwealth are floods, fires, winter storms and dam failures. Personally, my hometown has encountered a lot of hydrological hazards because of its location along multiple waterways. To reduce vulnerability of hydrological hazards, it would be beneficial to expand floodplains to diminish risks of homes flooding. It is important to map out safe zones and build a stable building or structure that can withstand extreme events. Encouraging plans and actions for preventative measures and developing an effective response would prevent more lives from being lost. The best people to perform these actions would be middle aged, healthy individuals that are physically fit. Personally, I could make more people aware of the importance of pre-emergency preparedness and how it can ultimately effect our well being. Informing others about the development of effective plans and procedures would also reduce a natural hazard’s severity.

http://www.pema.pa.gov/planningandpreparedness/communityandstateplanning/Pages/Hazard-Vulnerability.aspx#.VvsbjOaPN8E

.

One thought on “VIII: Hazard Vulnerability

1. Hi Tawnya, I am Laurene; Your post shows you have developed a good understanding of your hometown natural disasters. I like your attention to the importance of protecting the most vulnerable from biological hazards. You made excellent points towards reshaping your town’s infrastructure to prevent damage to residences during flooding. Similar to your town, my town in PA also is prone to flooding during hurricane activity over the Atlantic Ocean. My city is located along the Susquehanna and already implements many preventative measures to protect residents from the river-level rise above the floodplain. From experience information on events of flooding do help reduce the damage from natural hazards like flooding! If you want to check out the similarities in our towns you can access my post here: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/03/28/natural-hazards-avian-influenza-and-flooding/.

Great Post!
    -Laurene