Module 10: Biodiversity

1. Create a systems diagram that includes the causes of biodiversity and the effects of it, as well. Be able to include what factors influence biodiversity, and why it matters.Untitled document-3 

2. In 150-200 words, provide a short analysis or explanation of your systems diagram, noting on some of its key aspects that relate to topics in Module 10.

In my systems diagram, I chose to systematically lay out the causes and effects of biodiversity utilizing arrows to lead from one idea to another. I chose to focus on the main causes of biodiversity, and included that physically diverse habitats, moderate disturbances, large areas, and the longevity of a system all are factors that cause biodiversity. These causes include both human and non-human factors. Some human factors that affect biodiversity are negative impacts, however the relationship between humans and biodiversity is complicated. The effects of biodiversity can be divided into two different categories: anthropocentric and ecosystem reasons. While anthropocentric reasons to value diversity include the potential of the different lifeforms to provide many benefits, ecocentric reasons to value diversity are based in the idea of it having intrinsic value that does not particularly pertain directly to human uses. For example, some ecocentric reasons relate to the water, air, and atmosphere, which in turn ultimately end up affecting humans.

3. In 100-200 words, discuss what biodiversity you observe in your hometown, relating the causes and effects mentioned in your systems diagram.

In my hometown, Abington, PA, one of the largest negative impacts on biodiversity include deforestation and the loss of habitat due to the building of new commercial and residential area. The amount of wild animals have decreased throughout the years due to this loss of habitat, and therefore the biodiversity has unfortunately decreased as well. As human population rapidly increases, the need to expand will also increase, which will most likely take away even more habitats of the wildlife. In effect, some natural cycles will be lost or changed due to this decrease of wildlife, and may upset the balance of the ecosystem.

One thought on “Module 10: Biodiversity

1. Hi Elizabeth! My name is Lisa! Here is a link to my blog I would love for you to check it out! http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/04/15/module-10-6/
    I really liked your diagram and that you used cause and effects. I think it is a great visual that really illustrates the topic. I also think that you brought up valuable information about the negative impacts that are happening in your town. The same thing I happening in my town of Lititz and we have seen huge impacts on our biodiversity.