Module 10: create your own activity

1. Using the acronym H.I.P.P.O, analyze the biodiversity threats to your home, not state college, in 200-250 words.

I live in Manheim Township, which is located in the suburbs of Lancaster City. It is one of those townships that transitions from the city to the suburbs to more rural land in a short span of area. It is an automobile suburb that has roads expanding everywhere. More people are moving into the area and more developments are springing up because of it. This contributes to a few parts of the H.I.P.P.O. acronym. First the H, habitat loss, is represented by the replacement of trees and already small forests with homes, parking lots, and strip malls. Recently a whole new development was put in over a few small forests that housed a few important species. The second P, human populations, deals with this problem as the developments were made to house the growing populations in the area. More apartment buildings have been constructed and more shopping spaces have been developed with more parking lots covering more land. The undeveloped land in Manheim Township is shrinking which caused a dramatic change in the biodiversity of the area. As for the first P, pollution, Manheim Township is an automobile suburb, which in turn caused pollution in the area through exhaust. Earlier in the year we learned the effects of pollution on the climate, which can cause climate change in the area.

2. In 200-250 words, analyze a state park near you hometown and place it in a protected area category and explain why.

A park very close to my home is named Landis woods Park. This park is a common hiking spot for my hometown and one of the few untouched areas by developers. The website for Landis woods does not place the park in a specific category, but I would place it in category 3 for several reasons. The park is not open to motorized vehicles for most of the park, but is for a few small areas. It also is not maintained for scientific research only. These two things take it out of category one. The park is maintained, but does not have any security and is not labeled a national park. This takes it out of category 2. Landis Woods is not maintained as a habitat for humans but a habitat for local wildlife such as birds, insects, butterflies, etc. That takes out categories 5 and 6. Landis woods is a small area that has a management plan, but is not used for any human uses on the land other than walking and exploring. This puts it in category 3. It is like a national park but on a smaller scale. It is one of the few natural areas in Manheim Township and needs to be maintained that way.

3 thoughts on “Module 10: create your own activity

1. Hi Joshua! My name is Lisa and I am also from Manheim Township (Lititz). Your post caught my eye because I saw Manheim Township and I wanted to see what you wrote about in comparison to me. I think that Landis Woods was something great to talk about for biodiversity. Here’s a link to my blog: http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/04/15/module-10-6/ It would be awesome for you to check out mine and see what we have in common.

2. Hi Joshua, my name is Lizzy and your blog post caught my interest because we both included some similar aspects. I also asked the question of what threats to biodiversity occurred personally in ones hometown. We both included that the expansion of commercial and residential areas is a huge threat to biodiversity in that it destroys forests and habitats. Reading your post, I should have also included the automobile aspect, because I am now realizing that that is very important too. Here is a link to my blog post: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/04/15/module-10-biodiversity-11/.