L.A. 1 Getting to Know Me!

My name is Cody Rhodes, and I am studying to get my Bachelor of Arts in Theatre Studies at Penn State, University Park Campus. I live in State College, PA, but I grew up on the other side of the country. I was born in San Diego, California and spent my childhood and most of my adolescence in Southern California. My career will be in the entertainment industry, ideally in the theatre, but I have been known to appear in film and record voiceovers as well. Far down the road, I intend on going back to school to work for my Masters in Education. My interest in this course comes from a background in volunteer work and a desire to fully understand and hopefully live a sustainable lifestyle.

I am also an avid believer in globalization. There is a saying that permeates the theatre I have been involved in, “Teamwork makes the dream work.” A bit cliché, but the idea of working together toward a common goal for the benefit of both humanity and the environment is not only noble but completely accurate in my humble opinion.  The sharing and implementation of ideas and knowledge about creating sustainable human societal practices may lead us through a prosperous Anthropocene Era. Geography can lead the way, too. Rather than reading through paragraphs summarizing changes in the environment, Geographic Information techniques can allow us to visualize the effects of certain societal practices on the surrounding (and therefore global environment). An example of this that is given in the module is a comparison of Folsom Lake in 2011 and 2014, and a more recent example would be this video [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG87n5Dzdtl&feature=youtu.be] depicting the disappearance of old ice in the Arctic Sea. Through collaboration, we may begin to co-habitate with the Earth instead of utilizing its limited resources for personal or societal gain.

One thought on “L.A. 1 Getting to Know Me!

1. Hi Cody. I’m Yuying. I currently live in State College as well. I like your point about globalisation. Countries are closely connected to each other. Economics, politics, cultures, entertainments in places are changed by the rest. GIS technologies is a great way for people to analyse globalisation. It can show GDP, religions distribution, elections, wage rates, educations on maps, and show the magnitude, trends, hotspots, or something else. GIS technology can also show where are the natural resources, such as fossil fuel, forest resources, water resources, etc. From globalisation, we can also see how human impacts on environment in social science perspectives. For example, globally industrial. People in U.S are more likely to use mahogany, so furniture company may take advantage of forest resources in Brazil. However, that will have huge impact on Brazil environment and may cause deforestation. That’s my example of globalisation.
    My blog is http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/14/getting-to-know-you-3/