Nick Gasparovich Module 1

Hello, my name is Nick Gasparovich and I am a freshman at Penn State. Right now, I am living on the University Park Campus. I grew up in a town in northern New Jersey called Ramsey. I was fortunate enough to live about 30 minutes from New York City. The city introduced me to many different cultures and lifestyles only found in the “big apple”. After school I would love to work for my father at his heating and air conditioning company, designing ventilation systems in the engineering department. I decided to take this course because I took a course similar to this course in high school. I found it interesting how many components of science come together in geography. This insures no dull moments during the class.

After reading the module I know understand that geography is a very versatile field. I believe one of the biggest issues in the U.S. is our use of domestic natural resources. The governance of our resources is not up to par, since the U.S. has been tagged as a “throw away” society. Depending on other nations for critical resources can severely harm the U.S. economy. For instance Alaska has a significant amount of oil under the surface, but getting to the oil and getting it to refinery poses many challenges. Since Alaska is very untamed maps are missing a lot of detail. If new maps were created with a different scale it would be easier to see where roads should be built. Once the oil is extracted and ready for use the U.S. Government would have to implement sustainable usage plans to insure the oil is used in the best way possible. In this situation geography effects private business, the environment, and the national economy. This scenario shows how versatile geography is.

3 thoughts on “Nick Gasparovich Module 1

1. Hi Nick! I found your entry as very well-written and concise. I strongly agree with your comments on the U.S being a “throw away” place. If we continue to be such a wasteful place, our environment is sure to suffer, making times worse for our children and our children’s children. I found the fact that you included creating laws after the oil is extracted as another important part. Similar to what I said in my blog post, using resources is not the issue, but it is how we hurt the environment to ruin our resources that is the issue. You can read my thoughts in my blog post that I added bellow.

http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/18/getting-to-know-you-module-one/

2. Hi Nick! My name is Jessica and I too live at University Park. Here’s the link to my blog post: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/15/jessica-moritz-module-1/. It’s so interesting that our country is known as a “throw away” society, yet we still continue to depend on other countries for resources! I love your example of Alaska and how we really should focus on using our own oil and how geography clearly poses a great solution: maps. If we got the correct maps of Alaska we would be helping our economy in return.