Getting to Know You- Julie Hetu

Hello. My name is Julie Hetu and I am currently a freshman living at State College. However, my home is actually about thirty minutes outside of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Throughout my whole life, I have lived in the same exact house surrounded by the same exact neighbors who have become like a big family to me. I am in pursuit of becoming an elementary school teacher. Eventually, I would like to further my education in Special Education. When I was a young girl, I spent countless hours pretending to be a teacher. Although this course is a requirement for my degree, I am actually very interested in learning more. The only geography that I remember taking in my education was specifically dedicated to learning where different countries were on the map. From this course, I have already learned that geography is not simply the location of areas, but rather so much more. I hope to have a better understanding of geography after taking this course because this is something that is lacking in my own education.

In a recent science course at Penn State, I have learned a lot about the climate change and changes in our environment that is often caused by human interactions. Human-Environment Interactions is not only based upon the results of the environment caused by human decisions, but also based upon the natural events of nature that affect humans. One of the main concerns in human-environment interaction is sustainability. Sustainability is defined as the human activities being able to exist without disrupting the ability of natural ecosystems to function. Along with sustainability, another core concept involves governance, which involves how people make decisions and how they are inhibited by outside forces to make these decisions. The idea of sustainability and governance is rather important for the future of the world. It is important to determine how humans are able to thrive on this earth without destroying the environment around them. In infinite amount of ways, humans rely on the environment to live and survive, and without sustaining the ability of natural ecosystems, the ability to live will also change.

3 thoughts on “Getting to Know You- Julie Hetu

1. Julie,
    Your posting is interesting and insightful. I agree that governance is one of the key factors in moving toward a sustainable human – environment relationship. However, action is necessary to make those involved in that governance recognize the true nature of the issues and the possible consequences if they do not act. There are too many people involved in these important decisions who do not even acknowledge that a problem exists.
    On numerous occasions I have tried to engage my congressman – I live in northern New Jersey –in a dialogue on this subject only to be met with “canned” email responses and silence.
    You appear to have a good handle on this issue. I look forward to what you have to say in future postings.
    Mike Evangelista
    https://sites.psu.edu/geog30/wp-admin/edit.php?post_type=post&author=65077

2. Hi Julie, I strongly agree that the most powerful way of managing our planet is through governance. As it is one of the most important power to make regulations and legislation on sustainable planet. Sometimes decision-making in broad is a lot more effective and influential. However, small daily action is also important to sustain this planet.
    I am Wenjie and my post is on the topic of Visualization:
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/18/m1_learningactivity_wzz5097/

3. Hi Julie! My name is Jake Hughes. I thought it was really interesting how you said that you live 30 minutes from Pittsburgh. I also live right outside of Pittsburgh. I live in Uniontown, PA. It is about an hour south of Pittsburgh. You also chose the same topic as me for the second part of your post. I find it really interesting that you know a good amount about human interactions affecting the Earth from previous PSU courses!
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/18/getting-to-know-me-jake-hughes/