Getting to Know You

Hello everyone! My name is Christianna Woodling and I am a Sophomore at Penn State University Park. I am originally from the Williamsport, PA area. I grew up in a very small rural town on the outskirts of the city called Montgomery. I now permanently reside in State College in my own apartment with my dog, cat, and two parakeets. I am majoring in Elementary Education and minoring in Spanish. As well as being a full time student, I also work part time at the State College Veterinary Hospital as a veterinary assistant. Although it has nothing to do with my major, animals are a large part of my life and I love caring for them along with my passion for teaching. My first semester at PSU  I took an Earth science class that went in depth about climate change and all of the different effects it is having on our planet. I really enjoyed learning and fully understanding this subject as it often appears in our daily lives whether it be in the media or real life. This is what drove me to select GEOG 30 as my required general education class. Since this class is going to be teaching about the ways humans interact with the environment, I thought it would be really interesting since I have a little bit of background in environmental science. Geography to me was always simply looking at things on a map and knowing where certain countries are, but now taking a college level geography class I am very excited to expand my knowledge of the subject and see what more geography has to offer!

One area that really interests me is ocean pollution. Our oceans are a major resource for life and so many times it is taken advantage of. As mentioned in the beginning of the module, I think “scale” is very important in terms of geography and more specifically matters such as water pollution. If me think of water pollution on a local scale, dumping waste into one area of a creek doesn’t seem like such a big deal. In the grand scheme of things its only one tiny creek out of the whole Earth. But if we scale this up globally, and if everyone thinks that dumping waste into one small creek is no big deal, suddenly we have millions of polluted creeks running into the oceans and thus becoming a global problem .

5 thoughts on “Getting to Know You

1. Hey, Christianna! My name is Tawnya and I am from Montoursville, Pa! (The small town struggle is real)! I am also very passionate about animals and currently live outside of State College with my boyfriend, two pups, and my cat. I volunteer at PAWS as much as I can and also help out at a local wildlife rehabilitation center. I am studying Wildlife Science and am also very concerned about ocean/water pollution in general (especially with all the fracking going on around our hometowns). It was very nice getting to know about you and if you ever have questions, be sure to keep in touch!

http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/author/tmc5551/

2. Hi Christianna! I’m from Pottsville so Williamsport is about an hour away from me. I’m an animal lover just as well! I have a dog name Shaggy and he’s 15 years old. Props to you for working Veterinary Hospital, that’s amazing! It’s not an easy job watching animals suffer. I’m majoring in Elementary Education also! Best of luck to you!

Nice meeting you!
    Kelsey S.

3. Hi Christianna! My name is Kara. I think that is awesome that you work at the State College Veterinary Hospital. I love animals and always thought it would be a good experience to work at a veterinary hospital. I do agree with you about the ocean and how much we are polluting it. It is very important for people to realize it before it is too late. If you would like, check out my post! http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/19/module-1-geog-030/

4. Hi, I’m Eunice Lee. I am a sophomore majoring in Early Childhood Education (PK-4). This is the link to my blog entry
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/19/module-1-getting-to-know-you-6/
    Your interest in animals caught my attention because I love animals as well. I also had a thought becoming a veterinarian, but blood and how animals suffer made me stop and seek to be a teacher.
    About your interest in ocean pollution, I agree that ocean pollution is a very serious matter. I had a class last semester on oceanography, and had realized how ocean is a very crucial source in our life. I think your idea of the local scale of ocean pollution, made me realize that so many people do those actions without realizing the effects.