Learning Activity

Hi everyone! My name is Becca Hodge. I am originally from Downingtown, Pennsylvania, which is in Chester County and about 3 hours from State College. I now live here in State College and currently am enrolled in the middle level education program here as a sophomore. I aspire to be a middle school social studies teacher. I am primarily interested in this course because I hope to minor in geography as well as history and special education. I took Geography 010 and 020 last semester and really enjoyed aspects of both human geography and elemental geography. Something interesting about me is that I absolutely love to travel; so far in 2016 I have already been to Nicaragua and am planning to go to Ireland over spring break. I also have seen a great deal of the US, but hope to continue traveling for the rest of my life!

Above all, I am really interested in the impact humans have on the environment and how the surrounding environment has affected humans throughout time. I see a great deal of worth in focusing on sustainable methods of living. After thousands of years of living as if earth is ours for the taking, I know that making people change their habits is going to be really difficult. However, when one looks at the ethics argument, the case for protecting the planet is so much stronger than the “wants” of humanity. In my personal opinion, I believe that if many habits do not change soon, they will be forced to change due to the planet’s destruction. I think that geography is extremely relevant and important in this day and age.

One thought on “Learning Activity

1. Hi, Becca! I completely agree with the fact that the way we live our lives is so important to the environment that surrounds us. If we want things to get better, we must make changes. I, too, am really interested in how much we really are affecting the environment around us and am excited to learn more!
    Link to my post: https://wp.me/p3RCAy-aSm