M02: Biogas Generator

Biogas_jys5778

For my system diagram, I decided to take a look at the useful effects the biogas generators could have on society. Through the intake and rotting of human, animal, and plant waste, biogas generators produce a slurry which has two major purposes; production of compost and production of methane gas. The first, production of more compost has been shown to lead to the creation of jobs, mainly for women in India. This is an excellent positive feedback (in this case, positive = good) which has many potential indications. The increase in jobs for women could lead to higher education rates for the generations to come . This, in turn, could lead to newer and more resilient sustainable solutions for energy, agricultural, and social problems. The “?” box is meant to represent to possibility for these solutions, as I see resilience as beneficial in this circumstance. Solutions like the biogas generator have many pros which all improve the standard of living in places where they have been implemented. The second purpose, production of methane gas, is important as it directly benefits the environment. Safe and readily available methane gas allows for people to not have a need to cut down firewood. This reduction in the need for firewood decreases the amount of deforestation happening in the forests. Forests can begin to grow back, and the environment as a whole can begin to thrive again. Marten’s diagram is similar to mine in that several of the components are similiar (soil/compost, technology/biogas generators, plants/animals/environment, etc.) The differences arise from the fact that Marten’s diagram is describing two systems related to each other, mine is describing one.

2 thoughts on “M02: Biogas Generator

1. Hey Jake, it’s Devin from work. Here is a link to my post: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/27/biogas-system-

I really liked how your diagram explored the useful effects that the biogas generators could have on society. My diagram didn’t look at those effects but we had some similar categories, such as slurry, methane, and deforestation. I especially liked how you discussed how with the use of methane gas, they wouldn’t have to cut down as much trees which would lead to deforestation to decrease.

2. Hi, Jacob. I’m Tyler, a junior geography major. I like how you highlighted women’s employment. Providing both genders with equal opportunities will definitely have a positive impact. You and I both brought topics like deforestation and a cleaner environment. Your diagram seems slightly more technical than mine. This is beneficial because it allows readers to examine situational details. Here’s a link to my post: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/27/module-two-biogas-diagram-tyler-pegarella/