David Youn

In Gerry Marten’s “What is Human Ecology”, he illustrates the relationship between the social system and the ecosystem. He demonstrates that increase in population increases the amount of cooking fuel. This eventually leads to deforestation. Deforestation is an issue because the Earth only provides limited amount of fire woods. Similar to his figure, my figure mainly demonstrates the same idea that we need fire woods to fuel the fire to produce edible food. However, I have added some details that he have left out in the diagram. One of my core idea is that biogas generator have given women in India to start a business by selling the compost to the farmers. The farmers would than produce food that humans can consume. This causes an feedback loop in which they save the environment and increase profit. In other words, there would not be any waste created in this type of system. Initially, this causes a positive feedback because the integration of biogas generator in the society leads the women to do more work by selling the compost to the farmers. Furthermore, I believe that Marten left out a crucial information in his entry. He has left out the fact that the children who are helping their parents collect the fire wood is losing time on education. This is an incredibly important factor in any social system because children are the people who will eventually lead the next generation of people. There are differences in the two figures because many people think differently and value certain ideas more over other. We can learn from these comparisons that, we need many other view points because it is easy for others to forget certain aspects that might be important to the society.  hxy5072

3 thoughts on “David Youn

1. Hi David! My name is Kristin. I enjoyed looking at your diagram, it is very well done and easy to follow. I thought that was a great idea to include the topic that Marten left out, I agree that the issue of children loosing out on education because they had to help their mothers/families collect firewood is crucial. In my diagram, I added that having biogas improves education too but I like how you were more specific on how this does so. I also separated my diagram into the two sections of the social system and eco system but I like you added words along with the connecting arrows so readers can better understand what is happening.
    If you want to check out my post here is the link
    https://wp.me/p3RCAy-b42

2. Hello my name is Eric Acosta. I like how in your post it says that Earth only provides a limited amount of wood and I completely agree with you. Although trees grow, it takes a lot of time for the trees to have enough wood to harvest. Our diagrams were very similar, except I never included the students losing school time while harvesting wood. I do believe that it is a very important part of the system diagram and I should have included it. If you would like to see my post, the link is below.

http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/27/module-2-eric-acosta/

3. Hi! My name is Jake Hughes. I noticed how you expanded on the deforestation. I also did the same thing. Our graphs also looked quite similar. Talking about farmers and how they produce the edible food for the social system was a good topic that I think I may have left out. Good job on including the thing that you feel Marten left out.