Module Two: Biogas Diagram – Tyler Pegarella

BiogasDiag_tzp5145

In this diagram, I am attempting to show the relationship between environmental and personal health. Looking at the overall situation from a systems perspective, one is able to conclude that positive environmental changes will either directly or indirectly lead to healthier people. Through numerous connections, a specific environment may even be able to positively affect global health patterns. Marten’s diagram and mine both show relationships between ecosystems and social systems. Both display the way humans treat ecosystems comes back in the long run. The diagram I created is much more specific, as it focuses on the Biogas revolution in India. Marten’s diagram seems very general and would accurately represent situations in a number of locations.

My diagram also focuses on only positive outcomes, while Marten’s is somewhat seamless in that it doesn’t note negative or positive relationships. This makes it a very strong, typically relatable diagram. Similarly, both diagrams highlight air, water and plants. I find it interesting how Marten was able to incorporate topics like social organization and values, while still maintaining the relationship between social systems and ecosystems. Overall, we want to spread the same message, that the way communities handle the environment does matter. This is especially true in less industrialized nations where day-to-day survival depends on the environment. And while Marten’s diagram is exceptionally well done, mine is more useful in highlighting small, direct relationships in ecosystems and social systems.

3 thoughts on “Module Two: Biogas Diagram – Tyler Pegarella

1. Hi Tyler, i’m Natalie a freshman here at PSU. here’s my link incase you want to look:https://sites.psu.edu/geog30/wp-admin/post.php?post=42841&action=edit

I really like the way you set yours up in a ven-diagram type way, to show your focus on heath. I first thought this took away from the 2 part system, but your use of colors made it clear to understand each side. I found it interesting you chose healthier people as your focus because that sides more with the social system. Good stuff!

2. Hi Tyler, my name Jake Segall. Here is a link to my post!

http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/27/42779/

I couldn’t agree with anymore when you say that “we want to spread the same message, that the way communities handle the environment does matter.” If we want to continue living on Earth, these are the messages we need to spread effectively throughout our society, but especially those societies who are not as far as others. Your diagram is very effective at highlighting the key points related to a mesoscale issue.