Module 3 Blog Post

Is my own life worth more than the lives of others, the same, or less (selfishness vs.altruism)?
It is easy to believe that when it comes down to it, you would do anything to help the others around you. You would put aside your own basic wants and needs to help the ones you love, but would you help them if it affected something important in your own life? Would you sacrifice something that meant the world to you to the people who mean the world to you.This is what I personally believe altruism is. If my family and friends were in need and what I had to do would effect me drastically forever I would choose my family and friends over anything.This doesn’t just regard my family and friends. Being unselfish can effect anything around you. It is easy for anyone to say that when it comes down to it, the last thing you would be is selfish, but in my case I will always mean it. The people, places, animals, regardless of poor or sick mean something to our earth and lives and sacrifices will always have to be taken to protect them. I think that the way you perceive this view (selfishness vs. altruism) is what really makes you who you are and what your character is. No ones life will ever be worth more than another. It is important to look at each individual as human and know that they impact the world just as much as you do. They have every right and reason to be living on this planet as you do.

Is it important to be a good person or perform good acts (virtue ethics vs. action ethics)?
The first thing that comes to mind when you talk about virtue vs. action is our present day society. I believe that if you think something is truly important to you, you will take action to help that issue or solve that problem. If you simply say “This world issue means a lot to me” but don’t take any action to back that up, does it really mean anything to you? Many people today can put their views all over social media, but never do anything to show why they really feel that way and help society out.If you care about something you should be able to take action to attribute your view and get your opinion across to society. Feeling strongly about something and taking action towards what you feel strongly about are two entirely different things. It is more important to perform good acts than to just think about being a good person.
Do the pleasure and pain of non-human animals matter as much as the pleasure and pain of humans(speciesism)?
Speciesism is a major concept of ethics that I think can get entirely overlooked. As it said in the module, speciesism can relate to things such as racism and sexism and in that case it is more present in our lives because we are always being educated on it. But, we often overlook the feelings and emotions of animals compared to humans. This is one thing that makes it easy to understand what speciesism is. Animal cruelty is an issue that unfortunately spreads across our whole world. Some humans don’t take into consideration that these animals or as they see it “non-humans” don’t have emotions. Scientific research has conducted that animals feel emotions just as strongly as we do, but people will unethically throw them out on the streets, abandon them, or beat them because of their own views. The pleasure and pain of these animals matter just as much as if you saw someone getting beat up on the street or feeling emotional about walking by someone who might be homeless. Each living thing has emotions and feelings and no matter the circumstance, each human, whether person or dog feels pain and pleasure and they all matter.

2 thoughts on “Module 3 Blog Post

1. Hey zoe, we answered all the same questions. Also we have the same views on all of them but with minute differences. I agree with you that animals have feelings and never should be beat for any reason. Farming is a business and any smart farmer takes care of his animals because his and his family’s livelihood depends on it. I also agree with you that everyone’s life is important, my only difference is in a situation where this person is putting the lives of your family at risk, in my opinion that persons life is now forfeit. Very good answers to these tough ethical questions.

2. Hi Zoe, my name is Samantha! a link to my blog is here http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/01/31/learning-activ…mantha-daversa/

We both answered question five and six. However you included more detail from the text than i did. We both agreed that human pain definitely overrides animal pain, which is a horrible thing. I do think animal pain is just as important as human pain. Also regarding question six we have different views. I do agree that everyones life is equally important but i also think peoples actions are a huge part of whether or not your life is more important than another person’s life.