Cassie Hess : Module 3

1. Is it more important to be a good person or to perform good acts? (Virtue ethics vs. action ethics)

The concept of being a good person and performing good acts are very closely related but are not exactly dependent on one another. It is possible to be a good person without performing good acts and it is possible to perform good acts without being a good person. This matter of virtue vs action brings up the question: What does it mean to be a good person? I believe it is more important to perform good acts because without action, there is no change. People may have good intentions and positive thoughts but in order to make the world a better place, we must turn those thoughts into something tangible. Under most circumstances, actions speak louder than words. When determining whether or not the ends justify the means, a person’s virtue must come into question. If a result makes a large positive impact on the world but the means for obtaining this result had some negative effects, this would procedurally justifiable. For example, if a person finds a new method for growing more crops but in the process had to sacrifice a few farms, the ends justify the means. The total benefit of this person’s actions outweighs any potential negatives. Destroying a farm’s crops is not seen as virtuous, but the actions were with positive intentions for change.

4. Do ecosystems matter for their own sake, or do they only matter to the extent that they impact humans (ecocentric ethics vs. anthropocentric ethics)?

Ecosystems matter for their own sake far more than for how they impact humans. Humans have existed for a significantly small portion of our ecosystems entire existence. To have an anthropocentric attitude is to say that the ecosystem is here only for our benefit. Often humans will sacrifice the environment for their own welfare. When humans use natural resources and harm the environment with over consumption, they often think little as to how this affects the ecosystem in the long run. It is more important to have an ecosystem that will be around for generations to come than it is to have an ecosystem that supports the current society. Ecocentric ethics addresses the concept of distributive justice and how the consequences that we as humans create are distributed in the environment. Improving the lives of humans does not justify destroying our ecosystems. Just because tearing down a forest will provide shelter for people does not mean we are justified in doing so. Ecosystems matter because they will be here long after our present society is. Sustaining the environment and not making a negative impact is the way we can ensure that this will happen.

6. Is my own life worth more than the lives of others, the same, or less (selfishness vs. altruism)?

I do not believe my life is worth any more than the life of another person. While I value my own life very much, I do not think there is any person on this Earth that deserves to be alive more or less than I do. An altruistic person can be defined as someone who contributes to the world. I believe that is what makes a person’s life worthy: how much they can contribute and make a positive impact on our world. While I care more about my family and friends than I would a random person, I do not believe my friends and family’s lives are any more valuable. While this is something I strongly believe in, I cannot truthfully say that I would be willing to sacrifice more to a total stranger than I would to a family member. Under certain circumstances, being selfish can mean not only benefitting yourself but also benefitting the people you love and care about. Being altruistic is about balancing how you value yourself and others. You can value all human life by doing things to help our world, like living sustainably.

3 thoughts on “Cassie Hess : Module 3

1. Hi Cassie,
    my name is Jiye Choi. i’m junior majoring energy engineering.
    I like how you explain your opinion related with concepts we learnt. your examples are helped me to understand your thought easily. For the last question, your thought is little different with my thought. but I understand what you mean and it makes me to think about it one more time. and for the first question I thought good person tends to perform a good act. but your statement have a point.
    https://sites.psu.edu/geog30/wp-admin/post.php?post=43403&action=edit
    here is my blog, you can check it out what’s my opinion about the questions.

2. Hi Cassie, my name is Adam Abbott and I am a senior in IST. I have similar view on your response to question 6 about life. I agree that my life is not more important than any other person’s life. The area where we differ though is you say that someone who is altruistic has a valuable life. I just have a general belief that most people deserve to live just as much as I do. I also responded in respect to if I would give my life for someone else’s instead of just stating that other’s lives were more important. I think you gave some eye opening responses to your questions though.

Feel free to check out my post here: http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/02/03/module-3-ethics-views/

3. Cassie,
    I also chose to answer the question regarding whether or not my life was more, less, or equally important to other lives. I agree with the stance you took on the issue. Like you said, of course I care about my family and friends more than a random stranger, but just because I do, it does not entitle them to a more important life. Although my family and friends mean the world to me, that random stranger means the world to someone somewhere in the world as well. With that being said, I do not view any life as any more important, however, I agree with you that it would be more difficult to sacrifice for a random stranger, compared to a family member or friend.
    -Sophie Greene
    http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/02/03/ethics-sophia-greene/