Lexie Gersbacher, Syracuse Water Supply

1a.) The primary water supply for the City of Syracuse is Skaneateles Lake, a “Finger Lake” located approximately 20 miles southwest of the City. Skaneateles Lake has a relatively small watershed of 59 square miles along with a water surface area of 13.6 square miles. My county, known as the Onondaga County, their agency, known as the Metropolitan Water Board (MWB), constructed a water line between Lake Ontario and Syracuse. As a result, the City is able to supplement its Skaneateles Lake water supply with Lake Ontario water when necessary. The City normally relies upon Lake Ontario water during times when drought conditions limit the available supply from Skaneateles, during emergencies, or during periods of high consumption. The Syracuse water system is made up of over 500 miles of pipelines to deliver water from Skaneateles Lake to the City and to distribute the water throughout the City. The water supply system consists of water storage in Woodland and Westcott Reservoirs on the west side of the City. Water is also stored in two standpipes and in the three tanks that comprise Morningside Reservoir. After usage, water is then returned to a WasteWater Treatment plant. There are six different WasteWater treatment plant locations around the city of Syracuse.

1b.)

Activity						Daily Water Usage (gallons)

1c.) When given the challenge of only using 2 gallons of water, I knew I was going to fail. Besides the huge water usage for showering, my second largest water usage activity was toilet flushing and my hand washing water usage was right behind that. I counted that I washed my hands 10 times the day that I tracked my activity. I am a huge germ-a-phone so I am constantly washing my hands. Also, the day I recorded my activity, I was at work which is in a restaurant, so that calls for a little more hand washes than usual. Clean water is such a norm for majority of people in the U.S. I feel like we tend to forget how fortunate we are. Being limited to only 2 gallons a day, like they are in Mozambique and Haiti, is not a to of water at all. I use nearly 2 gallons of water alone just to wash my face on any given day. I don’t let the water run when I brush my teeth, that’s one of there very few ways I’m proactive in cutting down water usage. If I was limited in my usage, cooking and drinking would be my main priority, followed by cleaning. Geography plays a huge role in water use because not all places are in a spot where water can easily get to them, therefore limiting the usage amount per person. Even though I live in a city, as explained above, we have a lot of pipes that bring our water into us.

2 thoughts on “Lexie Gersbacher, Syracuse Water Supply

1. Hi Lexie, I’m Ryan and here’s a link to my blog if you’re interested in it (http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/09/module-4-ryan-hegedus/). I responded to your blog because I have never been to Syracuse and wondered where “the orange” got their water from in the middle of the state. I read that you get your water from one of the finger lakes, while mine comes from a river. You also used a lot of water in the bathroom by showering and flushing the toilet just like I did. We both were unable to stay under the two gallon limit imposed just by bathing.

2. Hi Lexie my name is Nicki and I also live in a city with a good amount of pipelines and sources to get water to everyone. But, I think we have a few more reservoirs and basins in all of Philadelphia to keep the water flowing through the city. What caught my attention is that you work in a restaurant. I worked at one in the summer and you don’t realize how much water you use even not from washing your hands. There is tons of water getting thrown out from bussing the tables, doing all the dishes, and cleaning all the linens. I also use around 2 gallons a day just to freshen up and have never actually realized how much water I’ve been wasting just in the first few minutes of waking up every day. Here’s a link to my blog http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/09/nicolina-dimascias-water-usage-report/