Food & Agriculture_sme5313

When entering high school, I was forced to choose a book to read in the summer that came from the 10th grade summer reading book list. Some of my older friends, as well as my librarian, recommended I read Eating Animals, by Jonathan Safran Foer. While reading this book, I was scarred from the graphic descriptions and horrible facts about factory farming, assembly-line slaughter, but more intensely, my empathy for animals that were suffering. After finishing it, I undoubtedly changed the way I eat food, specifically meat tremendously. Not only did I change my habits of eating, but everyone who read the book was changing theirs as well. My librarian was so passionate about this book; he was encouraging every one in my high school to read it, even if it wasn’t required off the summer book list. One book was written so clearly, almost everyone was changing the way they ate meat. This social norm was turning some students into vegetarians and others into vegans. I never knew a single book could have such a large impact on a whole community.

Drawing on content from this module, there are similar connections between my food choice and societal issues. Nutrition is one key societal issue that is connected to the way I changed my eating habits into vegetarianism. From the information, the Healthy Eating Pyramid shows/says that animal based food such as meat, dairy, and eggs should, in general, be eaten less frequently than plant-based foods. Being a vegetarian, I follow this healthy eating pyramid perfectly. From the Healthy Eating Plate, the largest portion is vegetables. Luckily, my diet consists of a lot of vegetables and fruits that I put in my salads. I get my healthy protein, which is the second largest portion by eating beans as well as nuts and some cheese. Based on my standards of eating, I personally believe the social norm should be vegetarianism, or at least cutting back on a remarkable portion of meat consumed. Animals are people too and should not suffer through abuse and slaughter. There are a variety of different food options to eat rather than meat.

food_diagram_sme5313

This entry was posted in M06 by sme5313. Bookmark the permalink.

About sme5313

Shelby Epstein is an inspired professional with a strong passion for building lasting relationships. Through 5 years of professional practice and involvement, Shelby grew many of her business expertise in communication, time management, and customer service. She aspires full-time employment in the field of Management Consulting where she is able to deliver engaging and measurable solutions to problems that occur. Patience is Shelby’s key attribute when working with others in a team. Great service overrides fast service. Shelby is able to take the time to truly figure out what the customer wants and gives them competent service. The more patient interactions Shelby has with others, the better she is able to understand their underlying problems and needs. Shelby has been a very active student within the Penn State Community. She is a member of the Kappa Delta sorority where she inspires women to gain confidence to achieve their dreams while taking philanthropic actions on campus and in the community. Shelby participates in sorority community service events that benefit the Prevent Child Abuse America organization and the Girls Scouts of the USA. Her passion and involvement with her sorority in THON, a student-run philanthropy event committed to enhancing the lives of children and families impacted by childhood cancer, assisted in raising a total of $90,000. Her mission is to inspire everyone around her to reach their full potential. Aside from Shelby’s professional career and involvement in school activities, Shelby enjoys traveling and meeting new people. After studying abroad for four months in Barcelona, Shelby aspires to continue visiting new places around the world!

5 thoughts on “Food & Agriculture_sme5313

1. This post is very similar to mine in terms of nutrition and animal slaughter. Some of the reasons to being a vegetarian are also similar to mine. The diagram also has some links that I made in mine. However the addition of reading the book about animals and deciding to become a vegetarian was an interesting idea. The diet followed by the person on this post as a vegetarian is also very similar to the one I follow

2. HEY! I’m Shanda, here’s a quick link to my blog! https://wp.me/p3RCAy-bGD
    First off, I really admire the fact that you’re a vegetarian. I mentioned in my blog about how i followed the food pyramid perfectly in high school. I really like meat and I find it really tough to go a meal without it. I don’t really like nuts, so I’m not sure about what I can do for adequate protein replacement. This book sounds really eyeopening. I was told if I watched Food Inc, i would never eat meat again. I’m going to strongly consider a lifestyle change soon!!!

3. Hello
    My name is Justin and I wrote about the commodity of convenient food. In our country today, fast food and food delivery services have become a social norm. my post described how this trend has many negative implications, like obesity and climate change. I found it really impressive how persuading that book was. I’m curious how hard it was to get away from meat, especially since its such a normal thing for many people. I guess ill have to give that book a read.