Convenient Food Issue

A huge social norm, especially here in the United States is fast and convenient food.  You can’t drive down the street or turn on the television without seeing an example of fast food or a quick and cheap mentality when it comes to food.  Just like many others I have fallen victim to this social norm; and more so than I’d like to admit.  I can recall just last weekend an instance occurred where fast and convenient food prevailed.  It was late and I was tired from a long day.  I was perfectly capable of cooking food that I recently bought from the grocery store earlier in the week. Instead, I chose the more convenient and faster option to order food and have it delivered to me by a local delivery service.

With my choice of ordering fast and convenient food delivery, can be broken down to different societal issues.  First, by implementing a delivery driver, I further add to the carbon emissions, thus adding to greenhouse gases in our atmosphere.  This relates to what we learn in how the transportation of foods causes a lot of environmental pollution, especially with air pollution.  Another issue explored with my food choice was nutrition.   By picking a fast and convenient food, I’m also picking a less nutritious and lower quality of food, over picking a fresh choice I had from the farmer’s market.  Although, having fast and convenient food is a great option to have, I would like to see a new social norm to cooking fresh local produce and meat. Along with people having their own gardens. Doing this will increase nutrition intake, which will hopefully reduce obesity here in the United States.  ConvenientFood

One thought on “Convenient Food Issue

1. Hey Justin, my name is Landon and I’m an accounting major. I have also fallen into the trap of fast food, and it’s very convenient but also very unhealthy for you especially if you are eating it all the time. Nutrition is a very big societal issue because even if people that are starving aren’t getting the proper nutrients, eating that fast food is actually doing more harm then good. Everyone should be getting the proper nutrients every day. http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/03/02/food-choice/