Food Choice

Before going to Penn State, I hardly ever ate Chinese food and I never had sushi before. Freshman year, my roommate was Korean and has always eaten sushi and other various types of Korean food which I have never ate before. He influenced me all the time to eat the food that he is use to eating and I was quickly influenced by his societal norm of food. The societal norm for their culture is to always eat rice with every meal. That was something I’ve never done, but was influenced by that societal norm and got rice on many occasions with my meals. In food choice, it discussed that one way you pick your food is because of the environment you are in. I was in an environment where the person I ate meals with every day, ate every meal with rice and therefore I started to eat a lot more rice as well.

One societal issue in the world is hunger; there are a lot of people in the world that don’t know when their next meal is going to be. The choices we make about our food are sometimes based on the environment around us. Rice is a grain and is one of the most consumed staple foods for a lot of people in the world. It can be given to people in need of food and will give people the necessary calories they need. Another societal issue is poor nutrition; people aren’t getting the right nutrition because they are eating the wrong foods or too much of one food. The societal norm of what Asians eat which is rice or noodles, vegetables, and some type of meat will give you a lot of the nutrition you need every day.food choice

2 thoughts on “Food Choice

1. Hey Landon! My name is Shelby Epstein and I am from Doylestown, PA! Here’s a link to mine! https://wp.me/p3RCAy-bGv
    After reading your post, I noticed we had some similarities and differences. In your blog post, you talked about the social norm of eating rice with every meal! Differently from yours, I talked about how everyone in my school was turning vegetarian or vegan after reading the book, Eating Animals. However, we both talked about the societal norm of nutrition. You talked about how Asians eat rice, noodles, vegetables, and meat to stay healthy, but for me, it’s different. While I don’t eat meat, I focus on eating a lot of vegetables and fruit and beans/ nuts/ and cheese! You did a great job!

2. Hello! I’m Tom and your post caught my eye because my parents introduced me to many different kinds of food, which helped me learn to love a variety of foods. I remember the first time my parents bought me sushi, and now it is one of my favorite foods. Also, rice as a staple is excellent because it is a great form of healthy carbohydrates, which are necessary for athletes and avid runners and lifters, like me. If asian food wasn’t so expensive for good quality, I would eat it for every meal. Here is a link to my post: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/03/02/thomas-devenney-food-choice-and-social-norms/