Lexie Gersbacher, Dunkin’ Donut Norm

1. I remember back in High School, a social norm for everyone every morning was to come in with Dunkin Donuts. I drove to school, so every single morning before I went into school I would go through the Dunkin Donuts drive-thru, which was always long because thats was the spot to be in the morning. My large coffee was a must and sometimes I’d add a bagel and/or hash browns in there. It became such a norm because it was convent, it was on the way to school and short term, it was inexpensive. Of course, as you could imagine, over the time frame of the school year, it added up rather quickly. Currently my diet does not consist of any meats or fried foods, just by personal choice. This is a plus because as we read, plant-based diets leads to a more sustainable environment.

2. Consuming Dunkin Donuts everyday, surfaces a lot of societal issues. Two of these issues could be not getting enough necessary nutritional needs and also obesity. There isn’t a wide menu at Dunkin Donuts, you’re most likely either going to get a doughnut, which serves zero nutritional needs, or a breakfast sandwich which is filled with processed meats and egg. Currently one of the largest known factories for Dunkin Donuts is in Illinois, that means theres a lot of food miles and energy being used to deliver such food to all the different locations. Therefore and abundant amount of green house gas emissions from fossil fuel-based transportation is being emitted into our air. People who go to fast-food places on a regular basis are most likely anthropocentric. It’s evident they don’t really care about impacts on the environment based upon their food decisions, except to the extent that the environmental impacts may potentially affect people. If people actually sat back and thought about how much money they were spending on processed foods, that are in essence, creating an unsustainable environment, maybe fast-food popularity would deplete.

3.Social Norms

2 thoughts on “Lexie Gersbacher, Dunkin’ Donut Norm

1. Hi Lexie! I loved reading your entry solely because I could relate with about the love for Dunkin! I have become addicted to the taste of dunkin’s coffee and now I feel as though my coffee from home is not good enough. Their coffee is made to last for a while and has a ton of added sugar for taste. My body now loves the taste and is not satisfied with the coffee that I make at home. Eating out is might be easy, but it does not necessarily mean that I get the same quality food that I would at home. Similarity, I talked about how I grew up being a picky eater, but I had to eat what was provided to me because it had good nutritional value. Overall, I loved reading your entry. Here’s a link to mine: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/03/02/module-6-5/

2. Hi Lexie,

I like your blog post because it relates to mine. My social norm also occurred in high school, and we went to McDonalds after football games. It is interesting how this occurs in other high schools as well (and I am sure a majority of high schools). I also said that my social norm could lead to obesity, and this could definitely hold true if a lot of the high schools take part in similar cultural norms. Good job! Here is the link to my blog if you are interested: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/03/02/the-influence-of-social-norms-on-food-choice/