Module 6: Food Choice & Social Norms

My food choices have been influenced by social norms in two distinct phases: pre-college, and my current time away at college. While living in a home family environment, I was more likely to have a sit-down dinner each night, and more likely to eat nutritionally balanced meals. There was also a higher chance that I would eat breakfast, as my family tends to eat in the mornings in a social setting. While at college, I have less time to prepare meals, and do not have as easy access to wholesome, home made foods. Because I usually have class in the morning, there is a low chance that I eat breakfast on a regular basis. If I do, it tends to be something quick such as a granola bar or just a piece or fruit. Further, because of the social setting I am placed in, I am more likely to get fast food or order delivery than I am at home.

Food Choice is a major component of this module, and it is something that influenced my experience. The food choices we are able to make is a significant societal issue today. In my case, I need to balance proper nutrition and convenience, as well as low cost. Low cost is even more influential in my food choices at school because many of my meals at home are purchased and cooked by members of my family. Convenience also has a massive impact on my food choices; at home I can count on having a healthy dinner at night, at school I need to balance putting a meal together while keeping within my time constraints. This will usually impact the nutritional quality of the meals I make (or order). Overall we must balance these aspects as best we can, which is what I believe the societal norm should be.

Untitled document

One thought on “Module 6: Food Choice & Social Norms

1. Hi,

My name is Chase and I am a Senior at Penn State. After reading your post, I was very intrigued. After spending 4 years in college, this is something I can relate too. So you have stated that you have less time to prepare meals and it leads you to skip or make unhealthy choices. I can see how this applies to many people, even adults full time working. It is because of issues like this that the country had led to such a high rate of obesity, heart attacks, and other nutrition related deaths. I believe that from a young age, people should learn to cook and take care of themselves so that when they are out on their own, it will be a bit easier. Great post!

By the way, here is a link to my post: http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/03/03/chase-sandler-module-6/