Module 6 Ryan Hegedus

One time that I can recall where my food choice was influenced by social norms was tailgating for a football game this season. My friends and I went to one of their family’s tailgates and I was expecting the typical tailgate food of hot dogs and hamburgers. Instead there was an array of food that I have never seen or heard of before. I felt pressure to consume this food even though I normally do not try a lot of new and exotic food. I ended up eating the food because I was hungry and I did not want to upset or disappoint our hosts. Even though I did not enjoy the food, I went along and never complained so I would not be rude to my roommate’s family.

Apparently, my roommate and his family love trying all types of different food while I am the person that likes to stick with the same food because it tastes great and have no need for change. A societal norm that could be relevant to this situation is food waste. Some people just take the food that they do not want and just throw it away. Instead of just eating it anyways or telling your host that you politely decline is a better option compared to wasting food. In the module 6 readings, it said that there are one billion people who undernourished. They would love to have the food you are throwing away just because you do not enjoy the taste. But instead the food gets tossed in the trash and hunger continues to be a problem in our world continues to be a problem in our world.food_diagram_rgh5072

One thought on “Module 6 Ryan Hegedus

1. Hey Ryan, my name is Doug. I found your post very interesting because I can relate to both points that you made. Last year, I went to a Super Bowl party and the host served a lot of Chinese food. I decided to load my plate because it looked very good, but then realized that I was not a huge fan. I ended up wasting the food instead of taking a small portion to decide whether or not I liked it. In my post, I talked about falling into the social norm of Chipotle and eating very frequently ever since. http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/03/03/module-6-douglas-apple/