Vegan Lifestyle

All my life I have been an extremely picky eater. If a food seems unappetizing or has a strange texture, I will not eat it. Part of me doesn’t label this as a choice, because I wish I could eat more without the anxiety of trying something new. This was pretty much inherent in me, and I didn’t experience people being picky on purpose until I met some of my close friends. Four of my close friends are vegans. They resemble the pickiness that I have, only instead of aversion, they are picky based on their ethics. All of my friends are very caring towards animals and the environment. They are following the social norm that vegans are making this sacrifice for the sake of the animals and the Earth. It is arguable that we live in a society that favors meat eaters, so becoming a vegan is like defying that social norm. By defying the fact that it is more socially normal to eat meat, vegans develop that pickiness to avoid eating what is readily available.

While I am not vegan, my friends do inspire me to cut down on the amounts of meat that I eat. Not only is it beneficial to the environment and safer for the animals, but it is also a much healthier option. A serious societal issue, especially in America, is obesity. Going vegan is a choice that requires eating more greens and vegetables, therefore leading a healthier lifestyle. Eating meat, red meat especially, causes higher cholesterol. Becoming vegan eliminates that risk. Not only does this lifestyle choice limit obesity, but it is safer for the environment. Like the module described, factory farms are a key contributor to environmental problems. By not eating animal products, vegans are boycotting these factory farms. While the social norms of our society favor meat eaters, it would make more sense to do the opposite. Favoring vegans would mean favoring healthy lifestyles and a healthy environment.

cuerou.systemsdiagram

2 thoughts on “Vegan Lifestyle

1. Hello Katie, my name is Adam Abbott and I am a senior in IST. I think you chose a great topic for your social norm food choice situation. I find myself to be picky when it comes to eating too. For example, I love the taste of strawberry flavor, but I can’t eat strawberries because of the texture. I think your chart was an interesting take on your situation too. I haven’t seen any charts like this and it has a great flow. It also helps solidify the situation you spoke about. I think you did a great job on this.

If you would like to look at my post the link is here: http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/03/04/module-6-food-choice-2/

2. Hi, my name is Ashlee. I really enjoyed your blog entry. I myself could not be a vegan but I would definitely consider cutting down on my meat eating like you have. If more people would favor the vegan lifestyle and just cut down on eating meat we could still help out with the environment as well as our own health. If you would like to check out my blog here is the link, : http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/03/03/module-6-7/. Thanks!