Social Norms: Alex Deebel

A growing social norm is buying organic fruits and vegetables, and eating a vegan diet.  My choices at the grocery store are influenced by my vegan roommate, who encourages my other roommates and I to do consider the lifestyle change. While I do still eat meat, I have been paying attention to buying organically raised fruits, vegetables, and even meats. I am glad it has become a norm in society to consider where our food is coming from, and to be mindful of the chemicals used in their life cycles. The general idea of environmental protection goes hand in hand with the trend of reducing hormones and chemicals in food production. It is in style to be healthy and “green”, and consumers want food options that they can feel good about eating.

A hot topic in food production is the use of growth hormones and chemicals in animals and produce. Therefore, the organic and vegan revolution has gained a lot of support from activists, in opposition to these processes. Another social issue that is highly debated is the creation and sale of GMO’s. As the model exemplifies, the genetic change in crops has made a variety of impacts on the environment including the inability to contain their spreading, and the legal ramifications of their patents. This is why the growing social norm of purchasing organic and vegan items has been so successful. I think this norm is for the good of society, and will hopefully have long term effects on the lifestyle and health of the population. It should be normal to want to eat chicken not pumped full of hormones, and eat grains natural to the Earth!

Aed5275_social norms

2 thoughts on “Social Norms: Alex Deebel

1. Hi Alex,
    My blog can be found here: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/03/04/produce-social-norm-katie-greiner/

I think that it’s really cool that your roommate is a Vegan, but that also must be extremely expensive and challenging for him or her. Personally, I eat pretty healthy overall and I still complain about the prices of fruits and vegetables! I cannot imagine how much she must pay to eat only organic! Also, would you ever try becoming a Vegan for a short period of time? Does he or she cook any meals for you? Thanks for sharing!

2. Hi! Im Jake Hughes. I think it is really interesting being around someone with a Vegan diet. To be honest, I have no experience with how difficult it is to maintain or even the lifestyle/decision as a whole. Having vegetables and fruits that are organically raised is also something that I favor. I find that having a grandmother who made us pick fruit with her, really impacted how I eat. To this day I would rather eat raspberries for dessert than ice cream. Good job on the post! Here is a link to my post about the social norms of others: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/03/04/social-norms-jake-hughes/