Module 8: Pittsburgh’s Hazards

In the hometown of Pittsburgh, there were on a few natural hazards to be considered.  First off, there is indication that tropical cyclones are a prevalent natural hazard in the region in which Pittsburgh is located in.  Moreover, on a different map, precipitation trends through the decades have shown to be increasing through the past 3 decades.  In fact, there was an approximate increase of 15 percent in precipitation in the Pittsburgh area.  After further inspection, the maps give a general sense of the natural hazards in regions.  To scrutinize, the maps could have had more detail in the rankings; a better numerical data legend.

In my search, I chose Tuscany, Italy, a place that I just returned from.  Last updated on March 5, a biological hazard occurred just outside the city of Florence.  A small outbreak of meningococcal meningitis C, which is considered to be a level 3 of 4 on the biohazard scale.  This kind of biohazard is quite possible here in my area.  Being a biohazard of the virus type, geographic local doesn’t play such a large role.  Another point to consider, is recently improperly and uninformed people have been anti vaccines.  As a result there has been spikes in outbreaks of some disease like measles.  The scale of the outbreak is close to something that would happen to the population of Pittsburgh.  The human factor of the population’s education plays a decent role in the frequency and severity of the outbreak.

After looking in to the different natural hazards that affect my local region, and found it to be quite moderate.  Pittsburgh has virtual no geological hazards.  Given that according to wiki answers the closest volcano is in the Caribbean, along with nearly no earthquake activity making the region safe of geological hazards.  Also, there is no Tornado index is below both the state and national average.  The only prevalent metrological hazards are flood and hail. With this being said, the numbers correlate with trend in the NATHAN maps.  The flood forming storms are explained by the dark green area over the region depicted on the map.

Mod8Flooding

One thought on “Module 8: Pittsburgh’s Hazards

1. Hey Justin, my name is Shelby and I am currently a freshman at University Park!! After reading your post, we can connect on different levels between both your hometown and mine! We both agreed that the Nathan map could have had more details added to it! The natural hazard that you looked at in Florence is different than what I looked at! In my post, I looked at the Volcano eruption in Indonesia, but volcanoes do not affect my hometown unlike the biohazard that can affect Pittsburg. Both Pittsburg and my hometown Doylestown do not have frequent earthquakes! Here a link to my post if you want to check it out! https://wp.me/p3RCAy-cXF Overall, great job!