Module 8 Greensburg’s Vulnerability

In my hometown of Greensburg, Pennsylvania, there are natural hazards that pose a threat to the town. One threat is a tropical storm or hurricane. According to the map, southwestern Pennsylvania is susceptible to tropical storms and it has happened in the past. It is also in a high zone of hailstorms. In my memory, hailstorms do happen quite often in my hometown. Tornados are also another threat to my hometown as they are a frequent occurrence according to the map. Temperature has also been on the rise lately in my hometown as well as illustrated by the map. The Nathan map is well suited for this kind of assignment as it is descriptive and easy to follow. An improvement though could be to make it more in depth.

I chose a biological disaster in the city of Edmonton, Canada. Last updated on March 31, a family is being quarantined after exposure to measles at their local hospital. This could happen in my hometown because it is a biological disaster and can happen just about anywhere if the correct precautions and procedures are not performed correctly. My hometown is vulnerable because of the hospitals and close proximity to Pittsburgh. The scale of the outbreak is similar to the scale if it would happen in my hometown because of the population numbers. The different people in my town have different levels of vulnerability because it depends on who has and who has not been vaccinated before an outbreak of a known disease occurs. You could reduce my town’s vulnerability by having everyone vaccinated.

One thought on “Module 8 Greensburg’s Vulnerability

1. Hi Ryan. I thought the tropical storm map was interesting because I wouldn’t really consider Pennsylvania in the hazard zone for tropical storms. But, it reminds me of the horrible thunderstorms we had during hurricane Sandy and how those storms greatly affected my hometown of NE Philly. I also recall some hailstorms especially when I was younger. I didn’t write about the hail, but I did notice the map brought up that hazard and I thought it was interesting because I never actually thought of hail as a “hazard.” I wrote my response about these thunderstorms and also a biological hazard in Africa. Here’s the link to mine http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/03/31/vulnerability-of-hazards-here-and-there/