Tenaya_Mulvey-WikiLeaks to Climate Change

Copenhagen Accord and trust issues

The main idea behind my system diagram is the relationship between trying to establish global climate change rules and regulations and the trust that can become a barrier on the international diplomacy. The beginning of my diagram starts with the lack between the trusts of the countries. The lack of trust starts with the secret cables and the “spear phishing” tactics. This Spear phishing tactic was sent to the US to look like the National Journal had sent it out and had threatened to take all the information they had on their computer systems. This showed malice and the cruel acts countries were willing to take to get their hands on classified documents. The meeting that was held in Copenhagen was to help move forward with the issues at hand, global climate change. The outcome of this meeting was The Copenhagen Accord which was a political agreement on how to handle global climate change and greenhouse gases. The countries that suffered the greatest global warming due to other countries were offered aid to assist in becoming a “healthier” country. Some countries, again, felt that they could not trust that the aid would come through for them and it held back their process to move forward. Eventually countries were able to come to terms with the accord and now 116 countries have identified with the accord while 26 countries maintain they have intentions to work with the accord. If there was trust between countries then the timeframe to get everyone involved for the sake of our environment would not take so long. Since trust was broken immediately some countries simply couldn’t see the positives in The Copenhagen Accord.

I think the state department communications should have been made public. It makes people more aware of how the state department works behind closed doors and the malicious intent they may have. I think that issues relating to climate change and global warming should be open to the public. Wikileaks may not have had the most ethical approach in retrieving the information but I think that it was necessary that it was leaked. I don’t have much of an opinion on how they should or shouldn’t conduct their climate change diplomacy considering politics is a topic that I don’t have a good understanding. The one way that works best with communication is being truthful and from this article it doesn’t look like they conducted business truthfully or ethically. Since climate change is a global crisis and is happening quicker in more populated areas or in the more poor nations, all nations should come together and help the crisis as a whole. The poorest countries that have less opportunities to improve their way of living to the more green approach, need the assistance from other countries because without our support how will they be able to improve and make positive changes.

2 thoughts on “Tenaya_Mulvey-WikiLeaks to Climate Change

1. Hello! My name is William Graf and I found your post very interesting. One reason why I found it interesting is because you discuss how the trust issues play such a major role in these climate change policies. I couldn’t agree with those statements more. I think that for climate change to work everyone needs to trust each other and act collectively to change. All of the countries in this Copenhagen Accord need to find a way to trust each other and finally find a way to stop the climate change caused by humans. If you would like to read my post it can be found at the link below.
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/04/04/module-9-william-graf/

2. Salutations! My name is Sara Getson, you can find my blog post here http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/04/04/climate-change-and-politics-sara-getson/.
    I would tend to agree with you that these malicious tactics really broke the existing trust, if any, between certain countries. How can we expect to accomplish goals without working together as a team, especially when the outcome could very well mean survival or death. Furthermore I also liked your comments with regard to the Leaks themselves. I would tend to think that if it wasn’t revealed now, then it would be at some later time in the future anyway. This may just given us some time to repair some damage, with any luck.