Module 2

biogasdiagramLD

The core ideas behind my diagram as portrayed in the five minute video explain the effects of the introduction of biogas fuel into a society such as the one shown, a village in India. Seeing the visual of the diagram highlights the amount of benefits that biogas fuel actually does have. It greatly impacts both the social system and ecosystem of India, and it becomes apparent that many of these impacts relate and overlap with each other, as shown through the many arrows to each effect. A core idea portrayed here is the human- environment system. For example, biogas affects the ecosystem because it creates quality fertilizer, which in effect benefits the social system in that farmers gain higher incomes due to their higher implemented prices. The benefits of this fuel is unmatched due to both its stability and resilience.

In regards to Gerry Marten’s diagram, Figure 1.5, there are a few similarities and differences from my personal diagram. Both diagrams break the benefits up into two categories, Social System and Ecosystem, and show the relationships between them using arrows. Marten’s diagram uses more descriptions for his arrows, and makes numerous connections using the same concepts, which is interesting to see how many impacts one concept, like cooking fuel, can make. There are similarities and differences between the two diagrams because the relationships shown in the video can be interpreted in several ways.

2 thoughts on “Module 2

1. Hi Elizabeth! My name is Adriana, and I definitely agree that there are many different ways you can connect your diagram due to how many overlaps there are! I also put in my diagram that increased yield is a benefit to both the people and the environment. You could also say that less pollution in the environment leads to better health in humans which is another connection between the two. I liked your diagram because it was straightforward and easy to understand.
    Here is a link to my post: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/27/biogas-system-diagram-adriana-buonocore/