Module 4 – Devin Walk

I live in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania specifically in Benner Township. We get our water from the Spring Creek watershed. It flows into the well in my backyard, where it then goes through our water softener and then through the facets. From there, the water flows down the drain to the main water line that is under the Bellefonte Wastewater Treatment Area.

Here is my table depicting my activities for one day that I used water.

Activity Use Estimate
Drinking Water (Acadia water) Two 16 ounce water bottles 32 oz
Shower Once, 7 minutes 12 gallons
Use the restroom Four times 2.5 gallons x 4 = 10 gallons
Brush Teeth Twice 16 oz total

In order for myself to live on two gallons of water for a whole day, I would have to change my daily activities. Two gallons would equal 256 ounces. I would continue to drink two 16 oz water bottles, leaving me with 214 ounces. I would change how long I shower and only take like a one minute shower, only turning the water on to get myself wet and then turn off the water and wash my hair and stuff then turn it back on to rinse myself off. Hopefully that wouldn’t use more than a gallon of water. According to the USGS, a one minute shower uses two gallons of water, but that’s with continuous use. So maybe my method would consume less water. If I were to try this I know I would fail just because flushing the toilet once loses 2.5 gallons of water and I’m not just going to not flush because that’s gross. Geography matters to water use because in areas that are well developed, such as first world countries, we are able to drill deeper into the ground for water, irrigate water, and/or filter water from lakes/streams to use in our water supply. Whereas third world countries don’t have the money or resources to do that and they tend to be in more arid climates which makes finding a water source more challenging.

3 thoughts on “Module 4 – Devin Walk

1. I completely agree with you when you say that it is much more difficult for third world countries to have water at their supply constantly because they don’t have the tools in order to have the water at their fingertips. However if the people in these third world countries were put in a place where they have more water at their supply they would be much more rational about their use of water than the people that already have that amount of water at their supply. We should understand that it is important to be rational with how and when it is necessary to use excess amounts of water.

• Sorry Devin I copied the intro sentence from a previous comment and forgot to change the names before I hit comment. Sorry about that but this comment is specific to your blog!