Module 2-Human Environment Systems

In my diagram I chose to focus on the relationship between the ecosystem and social system within the Indian society, more specifically in relation to the village shown in the film. The diagram I created displays the concept of a negative feedback loop. An example of a negative feedback loop within my diagram is the relationship between the smoke and its effect on creating biogas. Because firewood produces so much smoke, that smoke creates health problems. These problems are the main factor as to why biogas and the biogas tank was created. This negative feedback from the smoke persuaded D Vidya Sagra (the founder) to find a solution. Another factor to take into account with the ideas in my diagram is that it displays the concept of IPAT. The IPAT equation is used to show the relationship between the poor environment of this small village in India with its effect on the humans (more specifically the women and their children) living within that village. The rural animals, such as cows are able to contribute to a product called Cow Dung. This Cow Dung is the core resource used to power the biogas tank. The biogas tank is then able to produce compost and methane gas; which then allows the families to not only make a profit of selling this compost but as well as the ability to prepare meals in a safe environment (IPAT).

In conclusion the diagram I created is very similar to that in the Marten reading “What is Human Ecology.” In both diagrams they show the negative and positive feedback loops within the social system and the ecosystem. They provide connections between the the two different topics. The main way in which our diagrams are different however is the fact that he focused on more of how the environment aspect such as plants, water, soil etc effect the social system. In my diagram I focused on more specifically how animals such as cows contribute to a cleaner, healthier environment for those of the Indian village. What I learned by these comparisons is that diagrams can be different whether it be the content or context that it is referring to. However, in the end there are connections and links that can be found within all aspects of a diagram, whether that be positive or negative. I also learned that the social system and ecosystem though different, depend on each other a great deal. When one is effected, so is the other.biogas_diagram_alj5291

3 thoughts on “Module 2-Human Environment Systems

1. Hello, my name is Katy. I liked how your diagram is color coded. My diagram is also colored, please view it here https://wp.me/p3RCAy-b2r. The colored made your diagram very easy to understand. Your diagram caught my eye from the negative feedback loop. I like how you used the negative feedback to show how the lives of the women would be affected.