Biogas Diagram

The main idea of my diagram is that the Biogas generator is a Human-Environment system. Human-environment is when environment affects humanity and humanity affects environment. They impact each other greatly. The Biogas generator is operated by man and uses environmental sources to create methane gas. This results in a positive end result for humans. It also creates a positive affect on the environment then because when fertilizer is created in the system it helps create more crops and continues in a loop. Humans and the environment are helping each other when the biogas generator is used.

My diagram is similar to the Marten diagram because it shows how human activities affect a social aspect and an environmental aspect. My diagram is different from the Marten diagram because it shows a more cause and effect way. Because of deforestation children are expected to work and due to work they are late to school which affects they’re schooling and other social aspects. There are similarities and differences because each diagram is trying to get across the same point. The Marten diagram shows how the human activities work for the ecosystem and how the ecosystem works for the humans and my diagram shows how working together with the biogas generator creates a better environment and humanity.

BiogasDiagram

2 thoughts on “Biogas Diagram

1. Hi Ashlee, this is Rob Hudert. We both stressed the point that the biogas generator shows the various impacts on and the relationships in a human-environment system. We both also, unlike the Marten diagram, portrayed on diagram in a cause and effect type of way (on things leads to another, which leads to another, and so on). We both also showed the positive impacts the generator had on both the social system (health, jobs, money) and the ecosystem (deforestation, increased crops).

Link: http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/01/27/rob-hudert-bio…system-diagram/

2. Hi Ashlee, I am Katherine and your blog entry caught my attention as we both designed our diagrams based on similar central ideas. I made use of the various feedback mechanisms present in the relationship between social systems and ecosystems. This is similar to the way you focused on the idea of a “human-environment”. Our diagrams differ in some of the benefits that result from using a biogas well. I showed an improvement in the quality of the ecosystem in my diagram, but I did not even consider the numerous job opportunities that would arise from such an invention. Your take on the Marten diagram was also interesting as I had not given much thought to the ways human activities work for the environment (and visa versa).
    Here is a link to my blog:
    https://sites.psu.edu/geog30/wp-admin/post.php?post=42617&action=edit