Social Norms and Food Choices

1.) My food choice was affected by the social norms of my friends a few weeks ago. We all decided to go to a small restaurant to relax after a tough week. When it came time to order food, my friends ordered a salad, fish, and vegetable soup. They wanted to eat healthier by limiting the amount of beef and pork in their diet. I personally wanted a juicy burger with a side of cheese fries. I began to feel uncomfortable knowing all of my friends wanted to eat healthy while I wanted to order an unhealthy meal full of meat. As a result, I decided to settle for chicken noodle soup (not the healthiest thing there) even though it was not something I craved. Eating healthy meals full of nutrients and reducing the intake of meat was a social norm they had adapted. By not following the norm, I felt separated from the group and uncomfortable with my decision. So, I changed my order to fit in with the social norms created by my friends.

2.) My food choice can be directly related to the societal issues of obesity and livestock. In Module 6, we learned about the prominence of obesity in our society today. Eating beef and pork have been linked to weight gain and cardiovascular issues such as high blood pressure. One can reduce their chance of obesity by ordering meals which resemble the food pyramid (less meat) and exercising. By adapting to the social norm, I chose a healthier meal which increased my energy and nutrient intake. Additionally, we learned in Module 6 about the effects of livestock on the environment. By eating healthier and limiting our consumption of meat, my friends and I made an attempt to create a small decrease in the pollutants, greenhouse gases and diseases produced. I decided to follow the social norms of my friends by choosing not to eat meat in order to help my health and the environment. The social norm should be changed to include more fruits and vegetable in meals while reducing the intake of beef as well.

3.)

arg5492 (2)

3 thoughts on “Social Norms and Food Choices

1. Hi Amanda. My name is Maura McGonigal. Here is a link to my blog-http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/29/module-06-maura-mcgonigal/. Your blog caught my eye because I also wrote about decreasing the amount of meat consumed. When I studied abroad in Italy, the Italian public consumed less meat than we do in America and as a result I altered my diet. I agree with you that it is much healthier to decrease our red meat consumption. But theres nothing better than a juicy burger! I think that moderation is important and that our society should adopt a diet with less meat.

2. Hi Amanda! My name is Julie and here is a link to my blog; https://wp.me/p3RCAy-bDQ.
    I was interested in your post because I also wrote about the issues of livestock and the idea of less consumption of beef. I find it very amusing to read through these posts because I never realized how powerful the idea of social norms can affect something as small as what to decide to order for dinner. I really liked your system diagram because it showed both outcomes based on which decision was made.

3. Hi Amanda,

My name is Tanya. You can view my blog here: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/29/social-normsocietal-issue/

Social norms are really quite powerful. When you stop and think about just how often you adjust your eating patterns to avoid judgement, it becomes eye opening. The video we watched in the module about decreasing the amount of hamburgers surprised me. Like you mentioned, just reducing a few hamburgers can really make an impact in our environment. There is a lot to consider on all sides of the arguments.